Coach Nelly is currently serving as the Assistant Men’s basketball and Strength & Conditioning coach at Mount Mercy University. He also works as a fitness instructor at MMU teaching his infamous boot camp class for the fitness & wellness department. Coach Nelly serves as a volunteer coach for the 7th grade Iowa Pump & Run Basketball program. In his spare time he conducts personal coaching and basketball skills training sessions.
A former Marine, Coach Nelly tries to balance his knowledge of the game with discipline learned from the Marine Corps.
Coach Nelson, aka Coach Nelly, has been coaching organized sports since 1999 and worked with men and women athletes ages 5-65. He has experience with baseball, basketball, football, track & field, and volleyball. Since 2001, he has held a coaching certification from the Iowa Athletic Association. Coach Nelly also received a level 1 certification for track & field through USAT&F. He holds an Associates Degree in Education from Kirkwood Community College and a Bachelors of Arts Degree from Coe College with an emphasis in Physical Education/Strength & Conditioning. Coach Nelly is currently working on his Masters Degree in Sports Psychology and Leadership from Capella University.
Coach Nelson is an active attendee of River of Life Ministries. He has been married to his wife, Christa for 16 years. They have three sons, two of whom are in college playing basketball and competing in track & field. Coach enjoys many sports activities in his spare time, even playing in the Midnight Hoops Basketball Summer League. Recently, Coach has taken up Golf, as his youngest son loves to play.
- Coached in NAIA National Tournament
- Coached the Eastern Iowa All Stars Game Boys & Girls (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Camp Director & Coach for the Mount Mercy Boys Basketball Camp (2011 – present)
- Coached Virtebo Basketball Skills Camp (2012,2013)
- Coached countless athletes in AAU who went on to play college basketball at Division 1, Division 2, Division 3, NAIA, and JUCO levels.
- Volunteer Coordinator for the Coe Fitness Organization. Responsible for assigning trainers with students or faculty interested in improving their overall fitness level. (2007-2009)
- Coached an athlete drafted to the NFL after playing for a Major Division 1 University
- Coached an athlete drafted to the NFL after playing for a Division 3 College
- Coached various athletes who played at an NAIA University and after graduation went on to play over seas
- Internship at Velocity Sports Performance. Worked with a variety of athletes of all ages.
- Coached a College Athlete who competed in the weighted throw and placed 6th at NCAA Div. 3 National Track & Field Championships
- Coached several All- American athletes in Basketball and Track & Field.
- Coached an athlete who competed and placed 2nd in the discuss at the Iowa High School State Track & Field competition. That athlete was later recruited and signed to a Major Division 1 University.
- Basketball Coach – Washington High School, Prairie High School, Anamosa High School, Taft Middle School
- Track Coach Anamosa High School, Coe College
- Volleyball Coach – Anamosa Middle School
- Coached 14-17U Boys Basketball for Iowa Mavs & Barnstormers (2006-2012)
- Coached 14-17U Boys Basketball for ASI & Future Stars Basketball. (2002-2006)
- Named 2005 Iowa Varsity Prep Coach of the Year
- Coached Elite Sports Basketball Camps
- Volunteer Coach for Pass the Rock League (2005-2008)
- Volunteer Coach for a variety of local and regional basketball camps.
- 15+ years of Sports & Fitness Apparel experience
- A member of the AFCA (2009)
- FCA (2001-2004)
- Official fitness coach for Life 101.9’s 2008 Physical, Mental & Spiritual Challenge
- Jess Settles Basketball Camps, Cedar Rapids, Summer ’03, Summer ’04, Summer ‘05
- Volunteer Assistant Football Coach for Coe College, 2001
- Coached u12-u14 Girls AAU basketball for Northsiders
- Seasonal Parks & Rec Program Director, Gwinnett County Georgia, Summer 1997, 1998, 1999